Author Topic: Gamergate : Bypass the corrupt gaming media  (Read 6337 times)

Villain Mastermind

• View Profile
    • The Lair
Gamergate : Bypass the corrupt gaming media
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:48:36 AM »
How do I put this...

Fuck the gaming media and the indie-gaming oligarchy (look up the word, it applies frighteningly well).  A relatively small group of people have hijacked the indie-gaming world and give their friends preferential coverage.

If you somehow don't know about this, watch the very well researched series by InternetAristocrat for the details. He also has some good videos on Anita Sarkeesian and other related persons. (Disclaimer: I don't agree with all of his opinions, but he definitely did his homework in this case. Kudos to him and he won me as a subscriber.)

What can we do to fight back?

First of all, stop frequenting their websites... Fuck them and their clicks. Unsubscribe to their feeds and don't feed the frauds.

Second, use word of mouth to promote games you like instead of sharing links to their articles. Find under-exposed games/developers/artists/etc and promote them to your friends. There are lots of people creating great stuff or showing enormous potential for creating great stuff, and because they get universally ignored, they often will get discouraged and quit or just not have the output they are actually capable of. Note to self: I've gotta get around to making more "VM reads" videos and actually start a series where I play random games from GameJolt or other places where small developers post their work.

Just woke up this morning, so still pretty sleepy. Having trouble coming up with more...

Any thoughts, people?
Good minions do not participate in douche-baggery.

All Hail, Villain Mastermind!

Villain Mastermind

• View Profile
    • The Lair
Re: Gamergate : Bypass the corrupt gaming media
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:54:33 PM »
Good lord... This has blown up beyond anything I anticipated. The media-smear campaign has even spread to hit-pieces from publications like The New Yorker and Time (written by one of the main figures in the gaming media corruption scandal, so it is not in the least objective).

The fight has gone nuclear and even 4chan has fallen... Threads are being deleted left and right, people banned for even mentioning Gamergate. Holy hell, entire IP-ranges look like they've been banned. This is madness.

Many of the troops have fled and regrouped at other boards like 8chan and entrench themselves for the long haul.

I know that nobody is really reading this, but I hope that the few of you that read this will join the battle.

Don't let them shape your reality for you...

2 + 2 = 4, goddamnit!

“You are a slow learner, Winston."
"How can I help it? How can I help but see what is in front of my eyes? Two and two are four."
"Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane.”
  ― George Orwell, 1984

P.S. Sorry for the melodrama, but this honestly is serious business.

ExtraCoolz

• Not a Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 04:02:10 AM »
I think it is a wonderful lot.
Hi I am probably a spammer, but Chris left my posts after he banned me because I said nice things as a bot.

Villain Mastermind

• View Profile
    • The Lair
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 10:56:50 AM »
Good god, so tired... Been on this for almost 30 days now and been fighting a sinus infection nearly the entire time.

My website is a fucking mess... I'm a fucking mess...

But this is so worth it because I'm watching and helping drive interwebs history.

Villain Mastermind

• View Profile
    • The Lair
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 10:59:53 AM »
Btw, Depression Quest was developed in Twine and Leigh Alexander has created a piece of IF or two...

I hope this doesn't hurt the reputation of the genre or the Twine community in the eyes of the larger gaming public.